Friday, October 11, 2013

Let's Talk Skin Care


I didn't know what to do with this post. I didn't know if I wanted to talk about my routine, current favorites, some new stuff I picked up or what. So how about a little bit of this and that? My goal has always been to keep it simple and try not to use a lot of products. BUT the older I get, I realize that my skin has certain needs and what not. So I have to adjust my routine and products accordingly. And compared to some folk's routines, I don't use a lot.

I had been using a mix of products that I liked for a while. Some I've mentioned in past favorites posts, but I felt like my skin needed "more". So I started to reevaluate the products I had been using and what I wanted to address. First off my skin in oily/combo. In the spring/summer it's oily. During the fall/winter months it's combo. I'm also prone to breakouts and I'm like seriously. I'm in my doggone 30s! Good grief!! Anywho...


Back in March I picked up Proactiv Solutions's Super Size 6pc Day & Night Acne Treatment set from QVC. I have always been curious about Proactiv. So I was like why not and QVC gives you 30 days to return a product. I honestly like everything in this set. The only thing not pictured above is the toner (step 2). I used that up pretty quickly. I purchased Dickinson's Witch Hazel toner (pictured below) and it's just as good as the Proactiv one.

The standout products for me in the Proactiv set are the Repairing Treatment (step 3), Clarifying Night Cream and the Oil Free Moisturizer. The Repairing Treatment helps keep the oil at bay during the day and keeps my skin smooth. The Clarifying Night cream is a rock star and replaces 2 products (Bare Minerals Skin Rev-er Upper and Alpha Hydrox Res Q) that I used to use and loved. This has salicylic acid and retinol in it. Addressing acne and anti-aging! Loooove! I am very picky when it comes to daytime moisturizers. Especially those with sunscreen in them. I usually don't like ones with sunscreen in them because they make me oily. The first time I used Proactiv's I was like oooooh! Sinks into my skin nicely and doesn't make me oily! It's only SPF 15 but I did see that they have an SPF 30 one that I may check out.  I am on auto delivery for this set and have one more shipment coming but I haven't decided if I am going to get it or not. I have repurchased the Repairing Treatment and Clarifying Night Cream via eBay since I was getting low and didn't necessarily "need" the whole kit.


A few weeks ago I got the urge to use Philosophy's Purity Made Simple again. So I went to Ulta and picked up the 3 oz bottle. I've really been enjoying using it in the evening with my Clarisonic to take my makeup off. I have mentioned that Bare Minerals Purifying Cleanser before as a favorite cleanser to use for removing my makeup up. I still like it but I think I like Purity just a lilllllllttle bit more. So now I'm trying to decide if I want to purchase a large size of Purity, play around with Bare Minerals cleanser again or something else all together.


So I felt like the majority of my skin issues were being addressed with the items mentioned about but I still felt like my skin needed an extra boost in terms of brightening and some lingering acne scarring. Soooo let's backtrack to September.  Serious Skincare had a Today's Special on HSN (Serious Skincare Resurface, Smooth and Brighten). I was curious when I saw the email in my inbox but really didn't think much of it. I think I forward the email to my beauty pusha (Crystalis007) and she said she loved the brand. I was like realllly now. So I watched the video on the presentation, decided it was good deal ($49.95) and caved. I waited too long to order and the option I wanted was on extended delivery. I just got set last week. I've used all the items except the CC cream. First initial use, the products are not bad. The C Extreme Results Advanced Vitamin C Skin Resurfacer 2-Part Beauty Treatment reminds me of a similar product from Philosophy but not as abrasive. Still I can't call anything a favorite since I haven't been using it long. I can say that it has played with the Proactiv items I've been using. They did mention during the presentation that this was a good set to incorporate if you already have a set skincare routine in place. Hopefully I'll get some good results in the next couple of weeks.

In terms of eye creams, I haven't found a favorite. Well I take that back. I had received Bobbi Brown's Hydrating Eye Cream when I had purchased some other items at the makeup counter. It's pricey so when I used it up I didn't purchase it. So we shall see if I ever purchase it or find a less expensive one that does the job.


Last but not least, a quick shout out to my Clarisonic. When I first got it, I used it twice a day. Now I use it pretty much every evening when I remove my makeup. It helps get everything off. I actually have two. I originally got the Mia from QVC. Then I ended up getting the Clarisonic Plus. Also from QVC. Can you tell that I like to shop at QVC? I debated on selling the Mia but it good for travelling and I use it when I have to charge up the Clarisonic Plus.

The only items I didn't mention were some masks I use. Maybe another day. This post is long enough as is. And there you have it. Just a mix of this and that of what I've been liking and playing with when it comes to skin care.

If something doesn't make sense....my bad lol.

2 comments:

Let's chat!