Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Less Stuff - 2016 Update



My last update was over a year ago. So I decided to check in.

Books - I recently donated six tote bags (various sizes) to my library. The bin was about a fourth of the way full. Once I was done it was more than halfway full! Whoops! LOL! I should have snapped a pic. This purge was my "let's get real" purge. I may do another small purge before the year is out. I'm making an effort to read some of the print books I haven't read. I've gotten so used to reading on ereaders and my phone that I don't like reading print books anymore *sigh*. Some books are so awkward to hold especially since I read on my bed,

Clothes - I think it was a few months ago I donated two huge trash bags of clothes. I also tossed items that needed to go. I plan on doing another once over in my closet before the weather gets cold. Now I'm to the point where I have items I do like but a lot of similar items. For instance I have quite a few maxi dresses. I like all the ones I have and the fit fine. But there are some I reach for more than others. So do I get rid of the ones that I do like and wear but not as much? Then I'm kind of at a transition work wise. Where I work now, I can pretty much wear whatever I want. I've been looking here and there for a new job. So I don't want to purge a lot of say my more business causal clothes, if I end up somewhere that I have to "dress up" more than I do now. Then I have some items that I wear for certain activities that I need to keep on hand even though I don't wear them often like suits and some dresses. For suits, I have always wanted a three piece grey suit for the longest time but have never gotten one. So I may look for one. If I find one I like then I may get rid of the other suits I have with maybe the exception of one green one I have. I may do the same for some dressier dresses I have. I may keep two or three and get rid of the rest.

Handbags - *gasp* I know right lol! I've always pulled some to give to family and friends. I was watching one of my favorite YouTubers Jennifer Wan and she mentioned that she was going to sell some stuff to thredUP. I was said bwah?? So I went over to their site and they accept clothing items and accessories from various brands. I've mentioned before that I don't have the patience to try and sell stuff through eBay or Craigslist. So I checked the brands they accept and Dooney & Bourke is on the list. They also send you a packing envelope to mail your items. So I have some bags and accessory pieces pulled aside to send to them. Less expensive bags I'm planning to sent to Change Purse. They accept purses and their efforts help raise awareness and help victims of human trafficking which I think is a totally awesome concept.

Nail polish - I had post a video on Instagram Stories of some of my nail polishes and had gotten a couple of comments from a couple people that I know that really irritated me. I deleted the video. They go away after 24 hours but I didn't want to be bothered by other's comments. One said I should be embarrassed. I know she was "joking" but I didn't find it funny. Anywho. I don't know what to do with nail polish I'm ready to let go of. Most places will not accept used nail polishes. I've given more than enough away to family and friends. So I'm drawing a blank. I know I could just toss them. I may check and see if it's ok with my hairdresser if I bring some to my next appointment and just leave them in her shop and ladies can take what they want and she can trash what no one takes. *shrugs*.

Makeup - this is forever ongoing *sigh*. I think I was watching one Jennifer Wan's vlogs and she was mentioned how she was seriously going through her makeup collection and blog selling items that did not absolutely love. Now she's a totally makeup /shopping girl so I know her actions were not on decluttering or downsizing her stash. So I got inspired to go through mine. I got rid of a TON of lippies. Then while Google searching on what to do with used makeup, I came across the site Glambot. I remember Jennifer mentioning that she sent some makeup to them and from what I remember her experience with them was good. I did search on some reviews for Glambot. The "bad" ones I ran across were from people mad about the amount they got. They felt it should have been more. One review I ran across was sensible and was like look keep an open mind. They are providing you with a service and you're not going to get "full price" for an item. Which makes sense and I'm fine with that. I just want stuff gone and if I can get a little something for it then cool. They provide you with a shipping label which I like. Whatever they give you for the makeup first comes as a credit to use with them to shop and I believe after 14 days you can get the cash. If you're not satisfied with their offer then you can get your stuff back.

So I'm still chugging along. I'm happy with the progress that I have made but still have a ways to go. Hopefully I've given you some ideas on what to do with items that you're ready to part with. I'll follow up on my experiences with thredUP and Glambot.

Onward and upward!

2 comments:

  1. For the polishes, a cosmetology school won't take them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. Will have to research that. Thanks for the idea.

      Delete

Let's chat!