Monday, February 6, 2017

Less Stuff - ThredUp Review



As of today I have sent 5 clean out bags to thredUp. Over all I have been pleased with my experience. I will say if you're looking for quick cash then thredUp may not be for you. It does take some time for them to go through your items and determined what the payout will be. There is one caveat I didn't know until after I sent off my first clean out bag.

For items under $60 you get a pay out. For items over $60 they are considered consignment items and you get paid when and if the items sells. I did not notice this when I first looked at thredUP.  I saw this when I looked at the post "How I Made Over $3000 Selling my Clothes and Accessories Online". When I saw that I was like say what now!?! Had I saw that beforehand I'm not sure if I would have sent my items. But then again I knew that I probably wouldn't get much for what I sent. I just wanted the items out of my closet. So I was a little annoyed by this fact but they are doing most of the work that I don't want to do (ie selling items on eBay or similar site). Also funds are not available as soon as a item sells. You can use the money as a credit to shop with them immediately. If you want the pay out, you have to wait 14 days.

Most of the complaints I saw from various reviews is that people felt that thredUp didn't get them "enough" for their upfront payment items. Especially for items that they perceived as "high end" or "really nice" items. I just shook my head at them. Of course you will receive more for your items if they are new and still have the tags on them. However in general used clothing is not worthy a lot. There is a payment estimator on their site that gives you a general rage of what you'll receive. The condition of the item plays a factor. Also you can do your own research. I think on the Salvation Army website I saw an estimator for clothing donations and what to write it off for tax purposes. The amounts were not much. Generally when I have donated clothes I never wrote them off because it was too much of hassle to price everything and I knew it wouldn't be a lot of money. You can also donate your items to thredUP but they don't provide tax receipts. For me thredUp has been helpful in getting rid of handbags and getting a little something for them.

So do your research and consider your options before sending items to thredUp or any other similar site.

TTFN - ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat!